In these days of value-based healthcare, when reimbursement is tied to quality of care and to the effectiveness of treatment, the patient experience matters more than ever. It’s not just about treating illness – it’s about providing a holistic experience that reflects empathy and responsiveness.
Here are 7 things your practice should consider to improve the patient journey:
- Choice. The patient journey starts with selecting the physician. Are you paying attention to your practice website and online reviews? If you are not, you should be. According to Software Advice, 84% of patients surveyed used online reviews as their first step in finding a new doctor. You can get help with both your website and collecting patient reviews by using a practice marketing tool that helps you get noticed faster on sites like Google and Yelp. By ensuring you appear near the top in physician searches, you have a better chance of attracting new patients who already feel good about you based on patient reviews and accurate listings.
- Communication. It should be easy for patients to communicate with providers. Consider using practice management (PM) technology that allows patients to request an appointment, to refill a prescription, or to communicate with providers in a secure format.
- Wait time. How long do your patients wait to be seen by a doctor in your practice? Having the right electronic health record (EHR) can track your patients through their visit, lower the number of clicks during your patient encounter, and streamline your workflow – letting you spend more time with patients.
- Staff. How attentive is your staff? From the receptionist making the appointment and checking in the patient, to the nurses and doctors they encounter during the visit, and even during checkout – your patients want to feel like they matter. Treat everyone in a welcoming, friendly, and respectful manner. Truly listen and respond to their concerns.
- Lab results. How quickly can you communicate test results? When your labs and EHR are connected, you and your patients can receive results faster. Look for tools to share this critical patient information easily and securely through a patient portal that can be accessed via a patient’s mobile device. Having a solution that provides practice-wide insights with an informatics report and that shares patient information among multiple providers while maintaining HIPAA compliance is also helpful.
- Follow up. Pay attention to the treatments your patient is receiving from other providers. With value-based healthcare, the goal is to lower readmission rates, so it’s important for the entire treatment team to coordinate care. The right EHR can help information flow securely amongst this team of providers, especially important with chronic care patients. A cloud-based EHR can also allow physicians to access patient records anywhere, anytime. The availability of this information can reduce medical errors and unnecessary or redundant tests.
- Billing. With the right billing solution, you can help ensure that you not only get paid, but that your patient claims are not denied. Find a revenue cycle management service that can assist in reducing denials. This, and having an easy option for patients to pay their bills online, also improves the patient experience.
With the right technology in place, you can help improve the patient journey at your practice. To learn more about Quanum EHR, PM, RCM, and practice marketing solutions, contact Quest Diagnostics at 1.888.491.7900.