For many of you, paper patient records are still your go-to. Your tried and true. We understand. But paper alone is no longer a viable way to run a successful practice. Here are some of the ways it’s costing you and your practice:
- Liability. You need to protect patient health information. This extends not only to the papers you’re shuffling, but also to the records being physically stored and transferred. The paper shuffle can also have an adverse impact on patient care if critical notes are misplaced, illegible, or if observations go unnoticed.
- Inefficiency. Lost referrals or lab results can cause duplicative efforts for you and for the patient, costing time and money.
- Environment. Paper as a solution is not ‘green’ – the more we use and print, the bigger the impact on our environment. If that doesn’t resonate, think of the printing costs alone for all of that paper – the patient intake forms, printing the forms needed to see the patient, printing superbills, lab orders, prescriptions, patient education flyers, statements, collection letters, paper EOBs.
- Time. Paper patient records are time intensive. From medical office staff pulling and filing charts, to staff scheduling appointments in an appointment book, reminding patients of those appointments, handling referral intakes, checking eligibility, scanning documents, stuffing envelopes with statements or collection letters, or handling denials. Just scheduling appointments or handling the calls to remind patients of their appointments takes a lot of time away from other tasks. According to a 2016 survey from the Physician’s Foundation, 21% of a physician’s time is spent on nonclinical paperwork.
- Money. The paper itself costs money, but there are many hidden costs as well. Black-and-white laser toner costs between 2 cents and 8 cents per page. And the paper needs to reside somewhere, so consider the square footage necessary for your files as a portion of your rent. Add on the costs of physical shelving and filing cabinets. And then, factor in the salaries paid for all of that documentation, filing, and effort – it all adds up.
For all of these reasons and more, it’s time to modernize, and switch to an electronic health record (EHR).
Going paperless with Quanum EHR is easy. Here are 12 key features that can help you better run your practice:
- Ease of implementation. If you are a current Quest Diagnostics eLabs customer, your patient information automatically transfers over to the Quanum EHR. The copy note forward feature also makes it easy to document a note.
- Intuitive, efficient workflow. Receive instant access to clinical reports and relieve the burden of sifting through patient charts. Find everything in one place with integrated search.
- Minimal hardware footprint. The Quanum EHR is a cloud-based solution with redundant backup. No expensive, on-site server for you to maintain and product enhancements are automatically deployed.
- Network connectivity. Quanum EHR has the ability to share information securely with other providers. With more complete patient information, practices can improve their ability to make well-informed treatment decisions, quickly and safely.
- Mobility. Quanum EHR has an iPad® application for use anytime, anywhere. Perform lab ordering and read results, prescribe medications, and manage your patient records when on-the-go. Dictate notes directly into the patient chart with speech-to-text recognition.
- Fewer errors. More accurate charting, billing, and reduction of lost charges. Improved documentation and automated coding capabilities.
- ePrescribing capability. Write and manage prescriptions electronically within the EHR, and gain insight into patient medication history and formulary checking.
- Improve care. Better track and follow-up with patients with chronic conditions. Link to public health systems such as registries and communicable disease databases. Use the MyQuest patient portal to help patients take control of their health.
- Avoid penalties. Participate in CMS incentive programs. Quanum EHR can be used to satisfy requirements of the Quality Payment Program (MACRA).
- Improve quality. Drive quality through benchmarking and tracking of clinical quality measures, and have access to real-time scorecards that help you evaluate and identify improvement activities.
- Reliable. In 2018, the Quanum EHR achieved 99.96% uptime. Quest Diagnostics is a trusted Fortune 500 company that has been around for 50 years.
- Affordable. Take advantage of packages and pricing that are the right fit for your business needs.
Learn how Quanum EHR can help your practice achieve its goals. Read the case study.
Want to learn more? Contact us at email@example.com to learn just how easy the transition from paper to electronic patient records can be.